We seek 72 enthusiastic and committed teachers of history, social studies, government, literature, economics, or civics who want to be NEH Summer Scholars. We want people who share our curiosity and enthusiasm for the topic, and we will be selecting NEH Summer Scholars based on the extent to which they will benefit personally and professionally from the seminar. We expect to draw a robust pool of qualified applicants from which to draw a diverse group of teachers from a variety of teaching assignments and geographic locations. Priority acceptance will be given to applicants who have not previously participated in an NEH Summer Institute, Seminar, or Landmarks Workshop.
We’ve set up a convenient online system to submit your application materials. Directions for that process are detailed below. We look forward to receiving your completed application via our online form –not to the NEH — by the March 1, 2019 deadline. If our desire to “go paperless” does not work for you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to make accommodations.
Before you apply, please review the NEH’s eligibility requirements and application information and instructions that apply to all NEH Landmarks workshops. These documents includes important information about selection criteria, stipend requirements, and application instructions.
Preparation of Materials
Before you attempt to complete an application, please study the project website, which contains detailed information about the topic under study, project requirements and expectations of the participants, the academic and institutional setting, and specific provisions for lodging and subsistence.
A completed application consists of the following items:
- the completed application cover sheet,
- a resume or short biography with contact information for a professional reference, and,
- an application essay (no longer than two double-spaced pages) as outlined below.
1. Application Cover sheet
- The application cover sheet must be filled out online at this address https://securegrants.neh.gov/education/participants/
- Follow the prompts to provide your contact information, teaching background, and the workshop selection with your first and second choices of dates.
- Click “submit” to send your information to the NEH — NOTE: this is the only piece of the application that the NEH should receive directly. A confirmation page appears after you click submit.
- IMPORTANT: before you close your browser, prepare another coversheet, or navigate to another page you need to save your NEH Application Coversheet:
- Create an electronic copy of your NEH application coversheet by saving the confirmation page as a PDF or JPEG document.
- Alternatively, print the entire confirmation and coversheet and then scan it onto your computer.
Note that filling out a cover sheet is not the same as applying, so there is no penalty for changing your mind and filling out a cover sheet for several projects. A full application consists of all the items listed above, submitted to the project director.
You must submit a separate cover sheet online for each project to which you are applying in order to generate a unique tracking number for each application. Do not copy and paste a new cover sheet.
- Please include a résumé or brief biography detailing your educational qualifications and professional experience. Be sure the resume provides the name, title, phone number, and email address of one professional reference.
3. Application Essay
- The application essay should be no more than two double-spaced pages in which you address your:
- Professional background
- Interest in the subject of the workshop
- Special perspectives, skills, or experiences that would contribute to the workshop
- Most importantly how the experience would enhance your teaching or school service
Submission of Materials
We’ve created a convenient online submission process to send us your application! You can upload your documents either: 1) As a single PDF 2) Individual coversheet, résumé, and essay. Follow the directions below:
- Navigate to this link for our online submission page https://railroad.historyproject.ucdavis.edu/application/apply-now/
- Enter your name and email
- Upload your documents individually or as a full PDF
IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEND ITEMS TO THE NEH. Application materials sent to the NEH will NOT be reviewed.
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Completed applications should be submitted to the project director, not the NEH, through this system no later than March 1, 2019. Application materials sent to the NEH will not be reviewed. Successful applicants will be notified of their selection on Friday, March 29, 2019, and they will have until Friday, April 5, 2019 to accept or decline the offer. Once you have accepted an offer to attend any NEH Summer Program (NEH Landmarks Workshop, NEH Summer Seminar, or NEH Summer Institute), you may not withdraw in order to accept an offer form another program.)
While recent participants in NEH Summer Programs (NEH Landmarks Workshops, NEH Summer Seminars, or NEH Summer Institutes) are eligible to apply, applicants who have not participated in any NEH-supported seminar, institute, or workshop will be given first consideration. Additionally, preference is given to applicants who would significantly contribute to the diversity of the workshop.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Endowment programs do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or sexual orientation. For further information, write to NEH Equal Opportunity Officer, 400 Seventh Street, S.W. Washington, DC 20506. TDD: 202/606-8282 (for the hearing impaired only).