How to Apply
We seek 72 enthusiastic and committed teachers of history, social studies, government, literature, economics, or civics who want to be NEH Summer Scholars. We want people who share our curiosity and enthusiasm for the topic, and we will be selecting NEH Summer Scholars based on the extent to which they will benefit personally and professionally from the seminar. We expect to draw a robust pool of qualified applicants from which to draw a diverse group of teachers from a variety of teaching assignments and geographic locations. Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously participated in an NEH Summer Institute, Seminar, or Landmarks Workshop.
We’ve set up a convenient online system to submit your application materials. Directions for that process are detailed below. We look forward to receiving your completed application via our online form –not to the NEH — by the March 1, 2019 deadline. If our desire to “go paperless” stresses you out, please contact us at email@example.com and we will be happy to make accommodations.
Before you apply, please review the NEH’s eligibility requirements. Also, please click here to download application information and instructions that apply to all NEH Landmarks workshops. This document includes important information about selection criteria, stipend requirements, and application instructions.
Preparation of Materials
A completed application consists of three components: The NEH application coversheet, a résumé, and an application essay.
1. NEH Application Coversheet
- Begin here.
- Follow the prompts to provide your contact information, teaching background, and the workshop selection with your first and second choices of dates.
- Click “submit” to send your information to the NEH — NOTE: this is the only piece of the application that the NEH should receive directly. A confirmation page appears after you click submit.
- IMPORTANT: before you closer your browser, prepare another coversheet, or navigate to another page you need to save your NEH Application Coversheet.
- Create an electronic copy of your NEH application coversheet by saving the confirmation page as a PDF or JPEG document.
- Alternatively, print the entire confirmation and coversheet and then scan it into your computer.
- Please include a résumé or brief biography detailing your educational qualifications and professional experience.
3. Application Essay
- The application essay should be no more than two double-spaced pages in which you address your professional background; interest in the subject of the workshop; special perspectives, skills, or experiences that would contribute to the workshop; and most importantly how the experience would enhance your teaching or school service.
Submission of Materials
We’ve created a convenient online submission process to send us your application! You can upload your documents either: 1) As a single PDF 2) Individual coversheet, résumé, and essay. Follow the directions below:
- Navigate to this link and our online submission page
- Enter your name and email
- Upload documents individually or as a full PDF
IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEND ITEMS TO THE NEH. Application materials sent to the NEH will NOT be reviewed.
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Successful applicants will be notified of their selection on April 1, 2019 and will have until April 8, 2019, to accept or decline the offer. Please be sure we have an email address and phone number at which you can be reached during that week. Once you confirm your participation, you will receive additional information about housing, online readings, and other details pertaining to the workshops.
Upon acceptance of an offer to attend any NEH Summer Program, you may not accept an additional offer or withdraw in order to accept a different offer.
While recent participants in NEH Summer Programs (NEH Landmarks Workshops, NEH Summer Seminars, or NEH Summer Institutes) are eligible to apply, applicants who have not participated in an NEH-supported seminar, institute, or workshop within the last three years will be given first consideration. Additionally, preference is given to applicants who would significantly contribute to the diversity of the workshop.
We look forward to welcoming you to Sacramento!