How to Apply
We seek 72 enthusiastic and committed teachers of history, social studies, government, literature, economics, or civics who want to be NEH Summer Scholars. We want people who share our curiosity and enthusiasm for the topic, and we will be selecting NEH Summer Scholars based on the extent to which they will benefit personally and professionally from the seminar. We expect to draw a robust pool of qualified applicants from which to draw a diverse group of teachers from a variety of teaching assignments and geographic locations. Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously participated in an NEH Summer Institute, Seminar, or Landmarks Workshop.
We look forward to receiving your completed application via email to email@example.com—not to the NEH–by the March 1, 2017 deadline. If our desire to “go paperless” stresses you out, please contact us and we will make accommodations.
Before you apply, please review the NEH’s eligibility requirements. Also, please click here to download application information and instructions that apply to all NEH Landmarks workshops. This document includes important information about selection criteria, stipend requirements, and application instructions.
A completed application consists of three components: The NEH application coversheet, a résumé, and an application essay.
1. NEH Application Coversheet
- Must be filled out online, printed, and saved electronically.
- Begin here.
- Follow the prompts to provide your contact information, information on your teaching, and the workshop selection with your first and second choices of dates.
- Click “submit” to send your information to the NEH — this is the only piece of the application that the NEH should receive directly. A confirmation page appears after you click submit.
- Please print the entire confirmation and coversheet BEFORE YOU CLOSE YOUR BROWSER, prepare to submit another coversheet, or navigate to another page!
- Create an electronic copy of your NEH application coversheet by scanning your printed confirmation or by saving the confirmation page as a PDF or HTML document.
- Please include a résumé or brief biography detailing your educational qualifications and professional experience.
3. Application Essay
- The application essay should be no more than two double-spaced pages in which you address your professional background; interest in the subject of the workshop; special perspectives, skills, or experiences that would contribute to the workshop; and most importantly how the experience would enhance your teaching or school service.
Submission of Materials
Please follow the directions below:
- Send your NEH coversheet confirmation, résumé, and essay as email attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DO NOT SEND ITEMS TO THE NEH. Application materials sent to the NEH will NOT be reviewed.
- A History Project team member will confirm receipt of the coverletter, résumé, and essay within 1 week of your submission.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email, please call us at 530-752-4383.
- Deadline: March 1, 2017
While recent participants in NEH Summer Programs (NEH Landmarks Workshops, NEH Summer Seminars, or NEH Summer Institutes) are eligible to apply, applicants who have not participated in an NEH-supported seminar, institute, or workshop within the last three years will be given first consideration. Additionally, preference is given to applicants who would significantly contribute to the diversity of the workshop.
Successful applicants will be notified of their selection on March 31, 2017 and will have until April 7, 2017, to accept or decline the offer. Please be sure we have an email address and phone number at which you can be reached during that week.
Once you have accepted an offer to attend any NEH Summer Program, you may not accept an additional offer or withdraw in order to accept a different offer.
Once you confirm your participation, you will receive additional information about housing, online readings, and other details pertaining to the workshops.
We look forward to welcoming you to Sacramento!